Saturday, May 3, 2014

Je suis accro à la couture (I am addicted to sewing!)

I learned a new phrase in my French lesson last week and it has stuck with me, probably because it is so true!!! I am addicted to sewing! I just love the idea that I can make the clothes and styles that I love.

I am sure that much of this comes from the early success I am having and the compliments I am receiving. I have made 5 items now:

  • The Miette Skirt, from Tilly and the Buttons: Not blogged because it is too big. Even though it is a wrap, it is enormous. Not sure what I did wrong, or how to fix it, but at some point, I will rip out some of the stitches and try to re-size it.
  • A pencil skirt in blue suede, from The Great British Sewing Bee book 2: A really nice and easy pattern, but what was I thinking sewing in blue suede? This is a bit advanced for a beginner, non? I wasn't sure how to press it and accidentally burnt the inside waste band, and the zipper (my first!) is not great. These things are only visible to me, but undecided if I will wear it ...
  • The Sencha blouse from Colette: Will blog it soon. I love it!!!
  • Coco dress from Tilly and the Buttons: Really love this one too and will blog it soon! I just need my lovely husband to take some snaps!
In the meantime, I am working on a stretch knit wrap dress, also from the Great British Sewing Bee book. Hoping to finish it today, so I can start on my next project: a remake of the Colette crepe in a summery pink linen.

Here is my inspiration for my next Crepe:

I was walking through Place St. Francois near my flat and passed the Bon Genie department store, known for gorgeous window designs. There in the window was a perfect pink summer dress with a tie at the waste. I was smitten, until I saw the price tag: Robe (dress) 449 Swiss francs. (And the adorable shoes are even more at 460 Swiss francs!)


I immediately thought of the Crepe dress. While not a perfect pattern match, it is quite close with the waist tie and overall feel, and I have been wanting a chance to make it again in a lighter, more casual fabric and with the sweetheart neckline. So, I will be making my own version, for a much more reasonable price! Now, where to find a better deal on the shoes ...

Stay tuned! Pics to come soon, I promise!

Hugs,
Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment